A while ago, I’ve stumled upon this Youtube video talking about “The Impossible List”. Originally created by Joel Runyon, the impossible list is a new, dynamic take to the old concept of ‘Bucket List’. Joel describes on his homepage where the difference lies:
The impossible list™ is NOT a bucket list. Not too long ago, I used to settle for the possible things in life. The sure thing. It was “realistic”, “safe” and boring as hell. I decided I needed a challenge.
The impossible list is that challenge. This list of impossible things contains all the things I ever thought I couldn’t do because it was “impossible.” The sort of things that I assumed the cool guys on TV only ever got to do. The things I never thought that I would be able to do.
I’m very intrigued by this new concept. Even though I’ve shared several bucket lists already, such as my Wanderlust Bucket List, there are certain things I’m reluctant to admit. As already mentioned, I’ll turn 30 next year and graduate from univ. with a Master’s degree, so there are many changes ahead. Naturally, I’m constantly thinking about what I want from life. My very own Impossible list is my attempt not only to realize what I really want, but also a way to start working towards these goals. I’ve also created lists for my fitness goals, general life goals, and habit goals. These, however, will remain private in contrast to those you see below.
So here is my impossible list so far. I know, the more I’ll think about it, the more things will be added to this list. I’ve crossed all those things out that I’ve already accomplished, with occasional explanations put in brackets.
- Publish a scholarly essay in a scholarly journal
- – Publish 5 scholarly essays in scholarly journals
- Get my PhD before turning 35
- Publish a scholarly essay in a book
Give a talk at a conference(accomplished in November 2014)
– Give talks at 5 conferences
- Get invited to a convention as an artist.
- Publish a Graphic Novel
- Publish a children’s book
- Write a book or guide on travelling
- Open up an online shop with my art
- Illustrate a novel for a publisher
– Illustrate The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings for a publisher
- Create a cartoon
- Get 1000 followers/ subscribers on my blog
– Self-host my blog
- Learn how to sew
– Sew an elaborate Nazgul cosplay from LOTR
– Sew a Captain Hook cosplay
- Learn the following languages:
- Learn how to code
– Code my own blog or website
- Learn sword fighting
- Read a book a month
- Read two books a month
- Read at least five novels in Russian every year
- Travel for 6 months in a row
– Travel for 12 months in a row
- Visit all continents:
Asia(lived in Asia 1986-1989), Europe(currently living in Europe), North America, South America, Africa, Antarctica, Australia and Oceania(visited New Zealand in 2009)
- See the Northern Lights
- Visit the Atacama desert
- Visit each country belonging to the EU
Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal,Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
- Touch a Moai on Easter Island
Do you have any goals in your life you consider to be impossible? Would you try to create your very own ‘Impossible List’ instead of an ordinary Bucket List? Leave a comment and let me know!